Another clear example how it should NOT be..
I found out today that in order to try Adobe CS5.5 software, one is required to use the 'Adobe Download Manager' to install it.
How does this work?
- First you need to signup for a Adobe Account using their website
- Next, verify your account by e-mail
- Now you can download (and install) the "download manager". You'll get Adobe Air with that wheter you want it or not..
- Done installing, run the download manager and pray the thing starts to download your trial
- While downloading awnser some questions regarding your profession and intended usage of the software (!?)
- Done downloading, browse to the folder you downloaded the file, open it and follow the installation application
Clearly the download manager is a cough hughe benifit to users that want to quickly trial Adobe software...
My guess is that the only one benifiting from this crap is Adobe itself.
- An Adobe account is mandatory
- Installing Air is mandatory
I believe Adobe keeps moving into the wrong direction and this download manager is yet another clear example.. It's time they drop their monopoly behavior and start focussing on actually improving their paid products.
Note: If you are behind a corporate proxy or firewall you're probably out of luck..